Kindness: it’s a quality, a trait, a behaviour that we all strive for. In a world where we are increasingly distracted by our overloaded schedules, mobile devices, careers and personal commitments, it is common to be overly immersed in our daily grind.
We don’t notice others around us, or the actions that bring us together as humans. We walk past doors without holding them open for the next person, or we race into traffic to try to get ahead of the person merging in front of us.
Why? We’re distracted. And too busy.
Random Acts of Kindness Ideas
- Pay for someone’s coffee. This is so simple and easy, and most of us can attest to it happening to us, and how wonderful it made us feel.
- Plug an expired parking meter. If you’re wandering around town and you see a parking meter that is near expiration, why not plunk a quarter into that meter to extend the time?
- Visit a Senior’s Care Facility. Chat with/play a game with some of the residents. You could truly brighten a senior citizen’s day by playing a good old game of Go Fish.
- Give up your seat on the train/bus. If you see someone on public transit that looks like they could use a seat more than you can, why not give yours up?
- Ask someone how they’re doing and truly listen to their answer. It sounds simple, but when do we actually stop to really listen?
- Offer to return someone’s cart to the carrell at the shopping centre. This is a great one, especially if it’s raining or it’s a parent with their hands full.
- Donate pet food and old towels and blankets to an animal shelter. Most animal shelters survive on donations and minimal grants, so it can be hard to keep up with the needs of the animals.
- While grocery shopping, pick a few items to donate to the food bank. You can also donate money, which can buy perishables that are always in high demand.
- Do something nice for your neighbours. Bake some cookies and deliver them to a neighbour, rake their leaves or shovel their snow!
- Leave a container of coins by a fountain with a note that says, ‘Make a wish’. You might just make somebody’s dreams come true!
- Let someone cut in front of you in line. This is especially kind in a grocery store when you have a huge order to purchase and the person behind you only has 2 items.
- Buy or pick a bunch of fresh flowers and display them at work in a high traffic area. Flowers always brighten our day.
- Give someone a really good hug and tell them how much you love them.
- SMILE! Smiling at strangers and friends is a universal way to spread kindness and to brighten up anyone’s day.
For Valentine’s Day 2017, try some of these random acts of kindness, and help to spread some kindness and cheer through the world!